Breastfeeding is an essential phase for both the mother and the baby. But it does have its side effects on your breasts, especially if you are a first-time mom.
The Nature Bare nipple cream seems to be the best choice for nursing mothers. It has a pleasant smell and all natural ingredients. This is a cream that all nursing mothers should have.
Table of Contents
- What causes crack/sore nipples while breastfeeding?
- Can sore nipples be prevented?
- Does nipple cream work?
- What to look for in the best nipple creams?
- What to avoid in nipple creams, if any?
- 3 Natural remedies for sore/dry nipples
- Top 10 Best Cream For Nipples When Breastfeeding
- Medela Tender Care Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
- Best Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding Relief
- Just Hatched 4 Mama TLC Nursing Balm
- Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
- Nipple Cream by MotherMoon Organics
- 100% Natural & Vegan Nipple Balm with Calendula Extract, Nipple Cream for Cracked Nipples and Growing Breast-Feeding Nipples
- Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding – Vegan Butter
- Cabocreme Breast Cream for Engorgement, Weaning, and Suppression of Breast Milk
- Purelan 100 Nipple Cream
- SheaMoisture Mommy Soothing Nursing Balm, Raw Shea & Cupuacu
- Key References
One of the most common side effects of breastfeeding is the sensitivity of the nipples. This could be temporary until your breasts adjust to your baby’s feeding style, or it can last for the entire breastfeeding phase.
But there are ways to ease nipple sensitivity. One of the best things you can do is invest in a breastfeeding cream. These creams come in a variety of options, so it might be challenging to choose the best one. But we gathered all the information you need on these products. So, keep on reading and forget about side effects that your nipples might suffer when you are breastfeeding your baby!
What causes crack/sore nipples while breastfeeding?
During breastfeeding, your breasts’ sensitivity can cause cracked or sore nipples. This could be not only uncomfortable but also extremely painful. Here are the leading causes that could lead to such a condition:
- Poor baby latching: The way your baby is latching is significant. If they are not latching correctly in a natural way, you should talk to a lactation consultant. Poor latching can cause cracked and sore nipples but can also hurt your baby’s feeding.
- Breast engorgement: Almost all new mothers go through a form of breast engorgement, being it lighter or more severe. This happens when too much fluid, blood, and milk gather in your breast, increasing their size and stretching your skin. As a result, your nipples might get sensitive and even crack.
- Inappropriate Feeding Position: Your baby’s position during feeding can also cause you cracked or sore nipples. Make sure to hold your baby at the right level. That way, breastfeeding seems a natural act for both of you. you should keep your eyes on the baby’s face when they are eating to make sure they are comfortable. A good sign that they are eating correctly is also to watch their ears. If their ears slowly move up and down as they swallow, chances are that they are in the right feeding position.
- Excessive pumping: Busy moms tend to pump a lot of milk and store it for future meals. As familiar and efficient as this practice is, it can also cause your breasts to suffer. Cracked or sore nipples are the main side effects of excessive pumping. This happens especially if you are not using your pump right or if it is not the right one for you.
Can sore nipples be prevented?
Sore and even cracked nipples might happen, but they can definitely be prevented if you are prepared for such side effects.
- The best way to prevent such unpleasant side effects of breastfeeding is to use the right nipple cream for you. Such a cream will keep your nipples hydrated enough to prevent them from getting cracked or sore. Even if the soreness appears, using such a cream can alleviate the discomfort and pain that comes with it.
- You can also take steps to prevent breast engorgement effect and make sure your baby is latching and eating correctly. If you are breastfeeding your baby successfully, you have bigger chances to avoid sore nipples and potential wounds.
Does nipple cream work?
Yes, it does work. When you purchase the best cream for sore nipples when breastfeeding, you can apply the tiniest bit of the nursing cream to the affected nipples. It can protect, moisturize, and heal the sore/cracked nipples. Some of the best sore nipple creams do not sting or tingle but leaves a rich protective layer for quick healing.
What to look for in the best nipple creams?
If you never invested in a nipple cream for breastfeeding mothers, you might wonder what to look for in such a product. So, here are some valuable aspects that you should consider!
- Natural ingredients: Try to use only nipple creams that contain safe ingredients, ideally natural ones. The best creams will be organic and natural, so you shouldn’t take any risks by using them. Your baby will get in contact with the cream most likely, so this is another reason to go for natural products.
- Price: You will be breastfeeding for a long time, so you need to keep investing in the nipple cream that works for you. This should be a good reason to get a product that you will be comfortable purchasing again regularly.
- Types of skin and side effects: Check the type of skin a particular cream is intended for. This will help you keep potential side effects away and make the most out of the product you are using. You will find such information in the description of each product.
What to avoid in nipple creams, if any?
When you are purchasing a nipple cream, you have to look out for certain things to stay on the safe side.
- Stay away from nipple creams that contain harmful chemicals such as parabens or artificial fragrances, these chemicals are not only dangerous for your skin but also for your baby.
- As a general rule, don’t use nipple creams that are not recommended for babies too. Even if you wash it off before breastfeeding time, the risk of your baby getting in contact with it is too high. What is safe for your baby is also safe for you, but it doesn’t work the same the other way around.
3 Natural remedies for sore/dry nipples
There are also some natural remedies to reduce sore nipples or dry nipples and even other side effects of breastfeeding.
- Apply warm compresses on your breasts. if you do that with regularity, you will reduce nipple soreness and swelling.
- Add some salt to your baths. Saltwater can be extremely beneficial for sore nipples and cracked nipples. All you have to do is add some salt every time you take a shower. Or, you can rinse your breasts with warm salt water after breastfeeding.
- Massage your nipples with essential oils. You can use avocado oil or Shea butter to massage your nipples and add the moisture they need. Coconut oil is very efficient, as well. This will reduce dryness and keep your breasts healthy at all times!
Top 10 Best Cream For Nipples When Breastfeeding
Here are the best natural breastfeeding nipple creams that you can find on the market. They all come at a very high quality, and they are only made of the right ingredients.
This comprehensive list should save you a lot of research time and also help you save money.
So, you can just take your pick and enjoy breastfeeding a lot more.
Medela Tender Care Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
Medela offers not only high-quality breast pumps but also a great breast cream for your nipples. It is a very appreciated product that you will not be disappointed with.
- This medela nipple cream was created primarily to alleviate the side effects of breastfeeding. This all natural nipple cream is smooth and perfect for all types of skin.
- If you have tender breasts, you will love using this cream. It is hypoallergenic, so you don’t have to worry about any side effects.
- All the ingredients in this product are natural and safe to use. This Medela breast cream is safe to use even before breastfeeding, as it will not harm your baby at all.
- This natural nipple cream for breastfeeding will reduce soreness and help you treat cracked nipples if you apply it with regularity.
- Among the ingredients of this dry nipple cream, you will find lanolin, oat beta-glucan as well as capric triglycerides.
Best Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding Relief
If you are already dealing with some side effects from breastfeeding, this cream from Mommyz Love can be the best one for you!
- This all natural nipple cream for breastfeeding will give you instant relief in case you experience nipple soreness or any type of nipple pain from breastfeeding.
- It will also prevent such side effects from happening in the first place. So, you should use this cream as soon as you start breastfeeding to stay on top of such side effects.
- You can also use this cream for cracked nipples while breastfeeding, for your baby as it is very efficient in alleviating diaper rash or dry spots. It makes for a great lip balm as well.
- You will love the fact that this cream will absorb fast into your skin, and it has no fragrance.
- It can be a great product to help you pump a lot easier. Just apply it before pumping and forget about friction or any other discomfort.
- USDA certified and highly tested by the best pediatricians in the industry. This is an organic product, and you take no risks by using it.
- This fragrance-free nipple cream contains no petroleum, GMO, or any other potentially harmful chemicals.
Just Hatched 4 Mama TLC Nursing Balm
Another best cream for cracked nipples that will help you reduce soreness and cracked nipples is this budget-friendly product from Just Hatched.
- This best breast cream for breastfeeding will naturally moisturize your skin as it uses only natural ingredients such as Shea butter, Beeswax, and Calendula.
- It is excellent for taking away soreness and even pain if you are dealing with such severe nipple discomfort.
- You will have a better pumping experience if you use this cream. Thanks to the moisturizing effect that it has, you will not feel any discomfort as you are using your pump.
- This nipple sensitivity cream will work for all types of skin, but it is intended for sensitive skin mainly. It is also cruelty-free, gluten-free, and it contains no lanolin.
- Your nipples will be soft and smooth every time you use this shea butter nipple cream. You will not need to wash it before breastfeeding time as it is safe for your baby as well.
Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
This Lansinoh nipple cream is just what you need to make the most out of breastfeeding months and forget about nipple soreness, cracked nipples, or any other discomfort.
- Both mothers and doctors stand behind this cream. It is highly tested by the best specialists in the industry and entirely safe for use.
- This best nipple balm for breastfeeding will treat and prevent sore nipples in nursing mothers. But to enjoy this benefit, you will have to use this cream daily and even several times a day.
- This Lansinoh nipple cream is safe for your baby, as well. You can leave it on when you are breastfeeding. As a matter of fact, it might make latching easier for your baby.
- This breastfeeding ointment contains lanolin, which is known for taking off impurities and bacteria. This is a soft textured cream with an increased level of thickness. So, you don’t have to use a lot of it at once.
- The founder of this cracked nipples cream is a breastfeeding mother, as well. She understands the needs of women in times of breastfeeding, and this makes the cream even more efficient.
- This breastfeeding pain relief cream is hypoallergenic and doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
Nipple Cream by MotherMoon Organics
The next best nipple cream for breastfeeding is from MotherMoon Organics. They offer one of the best nipple creams that you will find on the market.
- The fact that this is an organic best breastfeeding cream makes it safe to use for all types of skin. It doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients, and you shouldn’t fear any side effects from using it.
- This cracked nipple cream contains coconut oil, beeswax, Shea butter, calendula oil, apricot oil, and many other organic ingredients.
- Your discomfort, nipple soreness, and cracked nipples will get better with each day you use this cream. This all natural nipple cream is essential to stay consistent with it to enjoy all its benefits.
- This best cream for cracked nipples during breastfeeding is an excellent cream for dry skin all over your body, and you can use it to hydrate your lips as well.
- This shea moisture nipple cream comes in an eco-friendly container, which makes this cream even more reliable.
100% Natural & Vegan Nipple Balm with Calendula Extract, Nipple Cream for Cracked Nipples and Growing Breast-Feeding Nipples
Using a natural cream on your nipples is very important for breastfeeding moms. And this product from Handmade Heroes might be just what you are looking for.
- The ingredients of this cream are natural, vegan, and perfectly safe for any type of skin. All mothers will fall in love with this product as soon as they start using it.
- This best breast cream for breastfeeding contains no parabens, beeswax, lanolin, or artificial fragrances, so you can rely on using this cream daily. It is made of only natural plant extracts and oil, such as calendula oil.
- This best vegan nipple cream is perfect for treating sore nipples and also cracked nipples. You can use it since you are in the last weeks of pregnancy to prevent such breastfeeding side effects.
- Among the ingredients, you will also find cocoa butter, Shea butter, and mango butter. All of them will nourish your skin and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding.
- This cracked nipples cream doesn’t have any artificial fragrance, either. All the scent that comes from it is from the natural ingredients it contains.
Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding – Vegan Butter
The next breastfeeding cream for sore nipples is a vegan product. This best organic nipple cream could do miracles for your sore and cracked nipples is this nursing cream from Nature Bare.
- You will notice the effects of this cream soon after you apply it. It will reduce nipple soreness and cracked nipples. It is also great for preventing such issues from happening in the first place.
- The most potent ingredients of this cream are Shea butter, coconut oil, and avocado oil. But it also contains other high-quality ingredients to count on.
- This sore nipple cream is safe for both the mother and the baby as the ingredients are edible. So, you can use it even before breastfeeding with no concerns.
- This best natural nipple cream with coconut oil is entirely organic and vegan, with no risks involved in using it. However, the benefits are countless.
- This breastfeeding nipple cream is not just a vegan product but also a cruelty-free one. No animals were harmed in the making of this cream.
- Many lactation specialists recommend this breast cream safe for breastfeeding.
Cabocreme Breast Cream for Engorgement, Weaning, and Suppression of Breast Milk
The next nipple cream is one of the best nipple creams for breastfeeding from Cabocreme. If you are looking for professional nipple cream, this one is just what you need. I9t might not be the most budget-friendly product, but it is the best investment for your breasts during breastfeeding times.
- All ingredients in this cream are natural and highly tested for your safety. You can use it regularly with no concerns about unpleasant side effects.
- It will alleviate breast engorgement and reduce soreness as well as cracked nipples. To avoid such problems, you should use this cream before they appear.
- You will notice that this cream absorbs fast into your skin. It leaves no greasy residue, and your nipples will be soft and smooth.
- The fragrance it has is an enjoyable one. It is a natural fragrance, given by the ingredients of the cream with no artificial chemicals added to it.
- This Cabocreme breast cream was created by an Ob-Gyn Mom who understands very well the struggles of breastfeeding.
- Your lactation specialist, as well as your doctor, will confirm the high efficiency of this nipple cream.
Purelan 100 Nipple Cream
Medela also offers this high-quality cream to help you reduce the nipple side effects of breastfeeding.
- Made of pure lanolin and safe to use by all breastfeeding mothers. Are any Purelan 100 side effects? No side effects are expected from this cream, but it is not hypoallergenic.
- No need to remove it when you breastfeed. This cream will not expose your baby to any risks.
- You can use this best cream for dry cracked nipples on other dry areas of your body, and it will be just as efficient.
- This breastfeeding cream works as diaper rash cream too.
- Intended for all types of skin. Leaves your nipples soft and smooth from the first time you apply this best nursing cream.
SheaMoisture Mommy Soothing Nursing Balm, Raw Shea & Cupuacu
The last but not the least product in this list is the nipple cream from Judastice. Just like all the other nipple creams above, this one will not disappoint you either!
- The main ingredients in this nursing cream are raw Shea butter and Cupuacu. These two ingredients will moisturize and nourish your nipples every time you apply this cream.
- This sore nipple cream is safe to use for breastfeeding mothers. Will reduce soreness, swelling, pain, and cracked nipples.
- It can also prevent side effects on breastfeeding that can offer you significant discomfort. However, you should start using this before you begin breastfeeding to avoid such issues.
- The 2 oz size container should last you a long time. You don’t have to apply too much of this cream to see relief in your discomfort.
Shopping for the perfect nipple cream is not easy. But this Nature Bare product makes it seem like you found just what you were looking for!
- The fact that this is a natural product maker it the best choice not only for you but also for your baby. You can use it on your baby's skin with no concerns.
- The avocado oil in this cream will help you benefit from many omega 9 fats. Also, the coconut oil gives this cream a pleasant fragrance, while the cocoa butter helps it get absorbed into your skin.
- You will love the soft texture of this product and the way it feels on your skin.
- It is the type of cream that you might love to apply even after breastfeeding is over as it brings many essential nutrients to your skin.
Your nipples go through a lot of changes during breastfeeding. This is why using a nipple cream can help you maintain them healthy through these times.
Considering that breastfeeding can last up to several months and even more than a year, your skincare is essential.
But by choosing one of the best cream for sore nipples during breastfeeding from this guide, you will definitely reduce and also prevent many of the nipple issues!
- “Breastfeeding with Sore Nipples | La Leche League International”. Accessed November 17, 2019. Link.
- “Breastfeeding: Sore Nipples | HealthLink BC”. Accessed November 17, 2019. Link.
- “Medela – Medela supports you with breast pumps, breast milk feeding products and breastfeeding education”. Accessed November 17, 2019. Link.
- “How to Prevent Sore Nipples for Breastfeeding Mothers”. Accessed November 17, 2019. Link.