New nursing moms get alarmed if they get cold or flu like symptoms. They also always wonder – would my cold affect my baby? Well, typically, breastfeeding mothers should not abruptly stop nursing just because they have a cold. Benadryl is one of the common treatments for cold or allergy symptoms.
…But, Can I take Benadryl while breastfeeding? Find the answer to this question on this page.
Can you take Benadryl while breastfeeding?
Taking Benadryl when you are nursing should come after a doctor’s prescription. There are both risks and benefits associated with this treatment. .
- Benadryl is one of the most common medicines on the market. It is usually found in pharmacies without the need for a doctor’s prescription.
- This might be one of the first treatments that come to mind if you are dealing with a cold and want to treat it at home.
- It is an excellent treatment for not just cold but also allergic reactions. And you can use it if you are dealing with insomnia as well.
Benadryl and Breastfeeding
The generic medical name of Benadryl is Diphenhydramine, and it is commonly used as the main ingredient in other drugs as well, such as Unisom. This is an antihistamine drug, and it is more potent than other cold treatments.
You can find this as an oral treatment but also as cream and even different lotions. You can use it if you have a fever, as well as varied reactions to food that cause indigestion.
Your doctor might also prescribe you this if you have any resting problems, or you get motion sickness.
You should, however, be aware that while this is safe treatment during pregnancy, it is not risk-free if you are breastfeeding.
- The main reason for this is that the drug can go to your breastmilk and affect your baby. This treatment can also impact how much milk your baby gets as it affects the milk flow by reducing it.
- If you do take this while you are breastfeeding, your baby might be more fussy and drowsy. These side effects will be more visible in younger infants, such as newborns.
- The older your baby gets, the fewer side effects they will have from you taking Benadryl.
Talk to your doctor before considering to use Benadryl to treat your cold symptoms!
Benadryl might be put in the same category with other cold and allergies treatments, but its side effects are quite different.
Other similar drugs might not go in the breastmilk as Benadryl does, and therefore, they will not affect your infant so much.
This treatment is also used in emergency departments because it takes effect fast and is very efficient at reducing the symptoms.
- “Benadryl” – WebMD. Accessed January 19, 2020. Link.
- “Taking Benadryl While Breastfeeding: What You Need to Know | The Recovery Village”. Accessed January 19, 2020. Link.