Diarrhea Causing Foods: Diarrhea is a severe symptom in infants, and it shouldn’t be underestimated. If your baby has diarrhea, they can get dehydrated in a matter of hours. This can lead to severe health problems, and it can even be fatal if it is left untreated.
So, make sure to go to the doctor as soon as you notice diarrhea signs and take the right measures.
But as it is always better to prevent rather than treat, you should be aware of the main foods that cause diarrhea in breastfed babies.
Everything you eat will get in your breastmilk. The concentration differs from one food to another, but the fact that what you ingest will be in your baby’s meal is an essential aspect to consider.
- Dairy Products: These products add to the milk protein and lactose already found in your breastmilk. They can cause diarrhea due to this overload of milk protein and lactose. Diarrhea can be that much more severe if your infant is intolerant or allergic to one or both of these products.
- Certain Fruits: If you like eating fruits or drinking fruit juices, you need to make sure they don’t cause your baby diarrhea. Apple, cherries, and pears are the main fruits that can cause diarrhea. Prunes might contribute to this side effect as well. This happens because they are high in sugar fruits. Your baby is not well enough developed yet to digest this amount of sugar. But if you consume them in moderation, you should stay on top of these side effects.
- Specific Formula Powder: Most formulas are made based on the same concept and ingredients. They might or might not have lactose or dairy ingredients. But certain formulas like those high in lactose or cow’s milk protein might cause diarrhea along with other discomforts. Check the ingredients and notice the way your baby reacts to formula milk. This will help you identify the symptoms and the culprit for them.
Top 10 Foods that cause diarrhea in breastfed baby
The following foods can give your infant diarrhea, so they are better to be avoided as much as possible.
2. Dairy Milk
6. Spicy Foods
10. Contaminated Food
Try to avoid these foods when you are breastfeeding your baby. You might be able to add others to this list by observing your child’s reaction to your breastmilk.
Some babies may develop diarrhea due to specific foods that are not on the general list.
- “Appearance, Causes, and Treatment of Baby Diarrhea”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “Can Babies Have Yogurt: Answers for Parents”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “Cow’s milk and children: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “Foods That Cause Diarrhea in Babies | How To Adult”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “Maternal food restrictions during breastfeeding”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “Eating Chocolates while Breastfeeding: Is It Safe & Effects on Baby”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “7 Shocking Side Effects Of Eating Tomatoes”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “Common Causes – IFFGD”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.
- “”. Accessed December 26, 2019. Link.