Best Pacifier for Breastfeeding Newborns: Breastfed baby or not, one of the baby essentials that can be found in most baby bags is the pacifier. Using this baby essential will help prevent the SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and to help your baby satisfy his or her suck reflex.
We choose Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier as the best pacifier for breastfeeding newborns. It is also the best rubber pacifier, and it is made of 100% medical-grade silicone, free of harsh chemicals, and FDA & UP CPSIA approved.
Table of Contents
- When to introduce a pacifier to breastfed babies?
- Advantages of Pacifiers
- Disadvantages of Pacifiers
- How to choose the best pacifier for breastfeeding baby?
- Are pacifiers safe?
- Do pacifiers affect teeth formation?
- Best Pacifier For Breastfeeding Newborns
- 1. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Soother Pacifier
- 2. Bibs Natural Rubber Baby Pacifier
- 3. Valueder Baby Pacifier for Newborn
- 4. Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier
- 5. Philips Avent Soothie Snuggle Pacifier
- 6. Zodae Pacifier
- 7. Philips Respironics Wee Thumbie
- 8. WubbaNub Infant Pacifier
- 9. MAM Pacifier for Breastfeed Babies
- 10. Razbaby JollyPop Baby Pacifier
- 11. Sovereign Born Baby Pacifier
- 12. Nookums Paci-Plushies Buddies
- Key References
When to introduce a pacifier to breastfed babies?
Doctors recommend that pacifiers or any other kinds of artificial nipples should be avoided at least 3-4 weeks after birth. However, it would be better to introduce a pacifier until the milk supply of moms is stable and well-established. (Source)
Advantages of Pacifiers
Some parents consider pacifiers as lifesavers due to its benefits. Here are the good things that pacifiers can do for you and your baby:
- Lower the risk of SIDS – Using the best pacifier for breastfed babies during night or naptime can reduce the risk of SIDS as there is no milk involve that might choke him once she fell asleep.
- Encourage your baby to soothe on his own – Using the best pacifier can help your babies to relax them, feel secure, and control their feelings.
- Satisfy the suck reflex – Your baby has a natural need to suck. While this can be done through breastfeeding, your baby’s tummy will be full soon, so a best-rated pacifier is a great help.
- Control the frequency of feeding – newborns only need to be fed at least 8 up to 12 times each day.
Disadvantages of Pacifiers
If there are advantages of pacifiers, there are also disadvantages and strikes against using pacifiers. Here are the following:
- Babies who often use pacifiers most likely to get ear infections. (Source)
- Using pacifiers will increase the risk of having dental problems, so make sure to use the best pacifier for teeth development.
- If your baby depends on a pacifier, he/she will be agitated and cry for help once you misplaced it.
How to choose the best pacifier for breastfeeding baby?
There are many pacifier brands for breastfeeding babies who claim that they are the best among the rest. However, to know which one is great, ideal, and the best one, here are the things you need to consider:
- Size: Pacifiers are not made similar to one another when it comes to its size. For newborn babies, make sure to use pacifiers in small sizes.
- Construction: Some pacifiers are made up of 3 separate pieces while some are designed in one-piece construction. Make sure that whichever type you will choose, the pacifier is durable enough not to fall apart.
- Nipple Material: The pacifier’s nipple comes in different materials – silicone, latex, and hard plastic. You can try each type to know which one works well with your baby.
- Type of Guard: When buying the best pacifier for newborn, you should also pay attention to its guard. The guard should be at least 1 ½ inches.
- Color: Choose the best and desired color that will look good on your baby. Pacifiers come in plain colors and printed designs as well.
Are pacifiers safe?
There are many reports of SIDS, and it’s really alarming. Though the leading cause of SIDS is still unknown until now, it is believed that it’s associated with the ability of babies to arouse from their sleep, especially when left nursing or feeding. That being said, using pacifiers, especially nighttime, can help prevent and reduce the risk of SIDS, making it safe to use. (Source)
Do pacifiers affect teeth formation?
If you will allow your child to use a pacifier for a long time – even thumb sucking, there is a huge possibility that it will affect the formation of their teeth. However, allowing your baby to use it according to the recommended number of months or years, your child’s teeth formation will not be affected.
Best Pacifier For Breastfeeding Newborns
Here are top 15 best pacifiers for breastfed babies on the market today:
1. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Soother Pacifier
The first best pacifier for breastfed baby is from Tommee Tippee. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature breast-like soother pacifier is naturally orthodontic to reduce the risk of affecting the teeth formation of your baby.
- It comes with a specially designed ripple in the nipple that flexes and stretches to allow the pacifier to move just like mom’s breast.
- It features a skin-like texture to provide a naturally soothing experience.
- It is made from super-soft silicone that feels, moves, stretches, and flexes just like the skin, making it less chance of nipple confusion.
- Aside from being naturally orthodontic that helps oral development, this Tommee Tippee breast-like pacifier is also BPA-free.
- This pacifier is well ventilated – the material curves away from your baby’s face for better airflow.
2. Bibs Natural Rubber Baby Pacifier
The next pacifier for breastfed baby is from Bibs. Bibs Natural Rubber Baby Pacifier comes in a pack of 2 and made in Denmark. These pacifiers allow your baby to transition seamlessly on & off the mother’s breast from feeding to self-soothing.
- It comes in beautiful vintage-inspired colors that will ideally look great on your baby.
- The nipple of Bibs pacifier is made from 100% natural rubber, and this soft material closely resembles the feel of mom’s skin.
- Bibs natural rubber baby pacifier is free of BPA, phthalates, and PVC, making it safe for your babies.
- The shield of this pacifier is designed with 3 holes to allow better airflow and keeps skin irritation at bay.
- Bibs natural rubber baby pacifier allows your child to self-soothe by exercising their instinctive sucking instinct most naturally through mimicking the soft materials and shape of mothers’ breasts.
3. Valueder Baby Pacifier for Newborn
This Valueder baby pacifier for a newborn comes in a complete set including two pacifiers, a pacifier clip, and a pacifier holder case.
- Valueder features mom’s breast-like pacifier to avoid and prevent nipple confusion.
- The shield is designed to touch your baby’s nose to simulate breastfeeding more closely.
- Additionally, the shield is specially designed with holes to allow air circulate better and to avoid any skin irritation.
- It features a round silicone nipple with a frosted effect that’s reminiscent of a mother’s breast, making it preferable and favorable for infants.
- It features a lightweight design so that it can easily stay on your baby’s mouth.
4. Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier
The next best pacifier for nursing babies is from Ryan & Rose. This Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier features a convenient combo design – which can be used like a pacifier and a teething toy for a developing baby.
- This best pacifier for breastfed babies comes with a soft nipple that gently mimics breastfeeding for natural palette development while soothing the gums.
- This best soother for breastfed baby is made with 100% medical-grade silicone that’s also free of BPA, latex, PVC, and phthalates.
- Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT pacifier is dishwasher-safe, so you can save time sterilizing your baby’s pacifier.
- With this brand of a pacifier, you can choose from a wide variety of colors that are pleasing to the eyes.
- What great about these pacifiers from Ryan & Rose is that it’s approved by the FDA and a US CPSIA compliant.
5. Philips Avent Soothie Snuggle Pacifier
This Philips Avent Soothie Snuggle pacifier is soft and light weighted, the plush toy helps keep Soothie close, making it easy for babies to find and hold the soothie.
- This newborn pacifier plus plush toy from Philips Avent can be detached for easy cleaning.
- It is made of BPA-free, durable, yet flexible medical grade silicone.
- This best infant pacifier features an orthodontic silicone nipple to help oral development.
- It includes an additional attachment mechanism for pacifiers that have ring handles.
- The plush toy is soft and lightweight, making it easy to carry by your babies.
6. Zodae Pacifier
This pacifier from Zodae comes with a detachable plush toy that is made of cotton, so it is soft and huggable.
- It is made of hospital-grade silicone that is durable enough to last for years.
- This best baby pacifier is made without any BPA and latex, ensuring that it is safe to use for newborn babies.
- This newborn pacifier from Zodae is high in elasticity and provides an excellent bite feeling to prevent nipple confusion.
- This pacifier for newborns is detachable so you can easily wash it off for hygienic purposes.
- The pacifier’s nipple comes in a unique shape to comfortably fit newborn mouths and includes a dustproof cover.
7. Philips Respironics Wee Thumbie
Philips Respironics Wee Thumbie is a pacifier for premature babies that can also work well with newborn babies.
- This newborn baby pacifier comfort soothes and calms your baby.
- It is modeled after the shape and size of a preemie’s thumb.
- It features a unique shape of the nipple that helps keep the pacifier in the baby’s mouth.
- The smaller-sized perioral guard keeps the pacifier centered, stays in place, and allows space for oral and nasal tubing.
- It is made without any latex, lead, PVC, phthalates, and BPA.
8. WubbaNub Infant Pacifier
WubbaNub infant pacifier is not only soft and safe to your baby but also comes with adorable plush toys that you can choose from.
- This newborn baby pacifier is free of latex and mostly germ-free as it is constructed in one-piece.
- This pacifier for breastfeeding is designed for natural orthodontic to prevent teeth problems, and it’s a smooth transition from nursing to using a pacifier.
- It is made with medical-grade silicone and distributed in most hospitals nationwide.
- This pacifier for breastfed babies is made without phthalate, BPA, latex, and PVC, making it safe for newborn babies.
- This most natural pacifier features a lightweight design so it can be carried easily by babies.
9. MAM Pacifier for Breastfeed Babies
MAM pacifier is specially designed for newborn breastfeed babies and comes with a pacifier clip so that it won’t be misplaced.
- It contains no BPS, lead, and BPA, so it is safe to use for babies, especially newborns.
- MAM pacifier is made of SkinSoft silicone, which is tasteless, clear, durable, and odorless.
- This best pacifier for breastfeeding baby features the symmetrical shape of the nipple to allow the pacifier itself positioned in place while in the baby’s mouth.
- The shield of this pacifier includes 4 large holes to promote better airflow.
- What’s great about this pacifier is that it’s certified by CPSC so you can ensure that this is safe for your little one.
10. Razbaby JollyPop Baby Pacifier
This Razbaby JollyPop baby pacifier comes in an 8-piece per pack for newborn babies up to 3 months old.
- These pacifiers are from the inventor of Soothie and GUmdrop and most likely to be distributed in NICU, well-baby units, and hospitals.
- These best pacifiers for breastfed baby contain no BPA and made of medical-grade silicone that’s durable enough to last for months.
- It is specially designed for orthodontic health to prevent the risk of having teeth and gum problems.
- Each pacifier from Razbaby can be sterilized and dishwasher-safe, without needing to worry.
- It includes 2 holes on both sides of the pacifier shield so that air can circulate better.
11. Sovereign Born Baby Pacifier
This super chic infant pacifier set comes with a carrying case that’s so stylish for clean & comfortable transportation.
- This pacifier is equipped with 4 large ventilation holes that are designed to prevent skin discomforts and irritation.
- Sovereign Born baby pacifier is an orthodontic pacifier that is made with only safe materials to soothe your newborn baby without concern.
- It comes with a snap-on cap that’s hygienic and helps to keep the pacifier clean and safe to use.
- It is made of 100% silicone that’s specially designed for comfort and soothing.
- The shield of this pacifier from Sovereign Baby is curved to fit entirely on the face of a newborn baby.
12. Nookums Paci-Plushies Buddies
Nookums Paci-Plushies Buddies is a pacifier that is attached to plush toys to prevent it from getting lost and can be found easily.
- It has a holder that has a flexible hug ring that attaches to different pacifiers, including Avent, NUK, Mam, etc.
- With this pacifier from Nookums, you can easily clean it as it can be detached from the plush toy.
- It is made of 100% medical-grade silicone that’s soft yet durable.
- This pacifier most like breast is free of BPA, latex, and phthalate to ensure safety.
- The plush toy animals can be washed in a machine and made with 100% polyester, making it soft for your babies.
Out of all the products that are mentioned above, the best pacifier for breastfeeding newborns is from Ryan & Rose Cutie PAT. This best infant pacifier can also use as a teething toy, soft, durable, and approved by both FDA and US CPSIA organizations.
When choosing the best pacifier to use for breastfed babies, knowing the type of materials used is essential. Also, it is even better if you will select the best pacifier for breastfed babies that are approved by the FDA so that you can assure that it is safe to use for newborns.
Hopefully, this guide helped you with picking the best pacifier to use while breastfeeding.
- “Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic”. Accessed October 02, 2019. Link.