When you are pregnant, comfort is everything. You need to sleep in a comfortable position for both your sake and your baby’s sake. This is very important to have the energy you need during your pregnancy. Your body will consume more energy in these crucial months. Without proper rest, you will feel exhausted fast and experience all kinds of aches.
Even if all the pregnancy pillows you will find in this guide are of excellent quality, we had to stop at the Wannafree Zootzi model. This pillow checks all the boxes for the best pregnancy pillow and worth the investment.
To enjoy a deep and peaceful sleep during the night or when you take a nap, investing in a pregnancy pillow is the key. It is even more critical if you are a stomach sleeper. Being pregnant, you will not be able to sleep on your stomach the way you use to so much a pillow becomes even more important!
Table of Contents
Why do you need a special pillow during pregnancy?
There are many reasons why you might want to purchase a pregnancy pillow. While some of them are subjective to each mom to be, others tend to apply more generically.
- Safety: First of all, using a pregnancy pillow will be a significant safety measure that you can take. The farther along you are in your pregnancy, the more attention you have to pay to the way you sleep. Sleeping on your stomach is dangerous for the baby’s life, and also they’re development. So, you want to avoid such positions at all costs. Using a pregnancy pillow for stomach sleepers can help you stay away from rolling over on your belly during the night or different naps.
- Comfort is also crucial: If you need to feel rested and enjoy your pregnancy as much as possible, sleeping is an essential condition. You will sleep a lot more than you are in any other period of your life. This is because your body works twice as much to not just provide everything you need to be healthy but also everything your baby needs. A pregnancy pillow will help you achieve the level of comfort you want and wake up in a more rested mood.
- Allows you to sleep on your side: For pregnant women sleeping on their backs is just as dangerous as sleeping on their belly. If you are a back sleeper, you can compress the stomach area and cut the blood supply to your baby. This is why it is so essential to sleep on your side, preferably on your left side. Sleeping on your left side encourages blood circulation more and helps your body relax better. The switch from being a back sleeper or stomach sleeper is much more comfortable with a pregnancy pillow!
- Pressure points can be painful: If you sleep on your side, you might notice that your body puts specific pressure points on your knees or hips as well as your back and other parts of your body. The pregnancy pillow will offer the support your body needs to alleviate these pressure points and keep the aches away!
Different sleeping positions for the pregnant woman
Pregnant women are limited in terms of sleeping positions. But two factors should be taken into account, and those are comfort and safety. You want to be comfortable so your body can rest, and you want to make sure your position is not putting your baby in danger. We will tell you right from the beginning that two major positions don’t put you or your baby in danger. Here are these positions that you can sleep in without compromising these essential factors!
- On your side: As we mentioned earlier, sleeping on your side is the best position you can go for. You can sleep on your left side or right side, and ultimately it doesn’t matter. Your doctor will most likely tell you that sleeping on your left side will facilitate your blood circulation. This is important as your baby is entirely relying on your blood. But sleeping on your right side will not create any hazards, so you should choose the side that you are more comfortable with.
- Prop your back and upper body with pillows: Sometimes, a common side effect of pregnancy is heartburn. If you have episodes of heartburn, you might want to lay on your back but prop your upper body up. This position will not compress your stomach as laying flat on your back would. So it is safe to try this as a relaxing and sleeping position. Be careful not to slide down in your sleep and end up flat on your back because this is risky.
- Sleeping Flat: Any position that doesn’t involve you sleeping flat on your back or flat on your stomach. You have the freedom to get creative as long as you are not trying these two sleeping postures. Once you start using a pregnancy pillow, you will have more options. You can play with your pillow as you need until you find the most comfortable sleeping position. But always keep your safety and your baby’s safety in mind.
Optimal Sleeping Position in Pregnancy
The 3 options we introduced to you above, regarding potential sleeping positions allowed during pregnancy are lifesavers. But from all those options, you only have one that you should focus on daily. That is sleeping on your side.
You might try the upper back elevation technique occasionally when you have heartburn. You might also get creative every now and then and use your pregnancy pillow to find new positions that are comfortable to you. But the best and most optimal position is to sleep on your side every night. This is not only safe but also very comfortable for both you and the baby. You are not taking any risks, and you will make sure that your baby is not restricted at all when you are enjoying a well-deserved night rest!
If you are not used to this position, you might want to start focusing on it until you love it. It is one of the best sleeping positions to have, even when you are not pregnant.
What to look for in pregnancy pillows?
If you never purchased a pregnancy pillow, you might wonder what aspects you should pay attention to before pulling your credit card out.
- The size of the pillow: You can choose between all kinds of sizes when you are shopping for pregnancy pillows. You will need to consider where you will be sleeping as well as the size of your bed. You should also take into account which is sharing the bed with you, so everyone has enough space. Thinking to travel or not with the pillow is also crucial, as this will influence the decision you make on its size. Once you have all these answers, you should choose the best size for your needs.
- The shape of the pillow: You will be able to choose pregnancy pillows designed to accommodate different areas of your body or the entire body. Some will ease the pressure on your back while others are created especially for your stomach. Decide which side of your body you want to focus on and invest in the proper pillow shape.
- Materials used to make the pillow: When it comes to materials, the filling of the pillow is particularly important. You will find pregnancy pillows filled with memory foam, polyester fibers, inflated pillows, microbeads, wool, and other types of fibers like Kapok fibers. Your preferences are significant here, but the memory foam pillows tend to be the most appreciated by pregnant women as they are very comfortable.
Best Pregnancy Pillow For Stomach Sleeper
Here are the top 10 best pregnancy pillows for stomach sleepers on the market place.
1.Meiz Pregnancy Pillow – U Shaped – Pregnancy Body Pillow
One of the best pregnancy pillows to invest in is this Meiz U shaped one. You will fall in love with it the moment you start using it!
- You can choose between nine different colors of this pillow. There are also three different lengths to go for so you can feel as comfortable as possible.
- It is covered with a layer of a soft jersey material that will not let you get too sweaty while you sleep on it. The cover is easy to remove as it comes with a zipper.
- This pillow is made to accommodate your entire body. It has a very functional U shape that will help you relax every time you lay on it. It can be used by all mothers to be, and it is easy to place on any bed.
- You can use this pillow when you sleep, read, enjoy your favorite TV show, and every time you relax. It will help you alleviate leg pain, back pain, and it will support your entire body.
- This pregnancy pillow is safe to be used at any time with no risks for you or your baby. It improved blood circulation and helped take off the body pressure in the late months of pregnancy.
2. Nursing, Maternity and Pregnancy Body Pillow
Another full body pillow that you will love to use during your pregnancy, and not only is this one from Awesling.
- You can choose this pillow in grey color or a grey and blue pattern. You will also like the fact that it is more budget-friendly than other pillows.
- This pregnancy pillow will help you through your entire pregnancy. You might even want to use it after you have your baby because it is too comfortable to let go.
- You can adjust it to use it in different sleeping positions. This pillow can even be converted into a knee rest.
- Along with this pillow, you also receive a smaller pillow, which is 45 degrees one. You can use this small pillow to prop your body when you have heartburn, for instance.
- This pillow will offer the same type of comfort to men as well, so when you don’t use it, your partner might want to give it a try. You can use it to recover after any kind of surgery as well.
- You can access the filling by opening the zipper. This allows you to add or remove filling to give the firm-level you want for your pillow. This pillow can also be easily washed in the washing machine with no risks of damaging it.
3.PharMeDoc Pregnancy C Shaped Full Body Pillow
This pregnancy pillow from PharMeDoc will charm you from the first time you use it. It can turn out to be the most essential item for you during your pregnancy.
- It comes at a great price and five different colors to choose from. The grey version also includes a travel bag. But note that this travel bag is not included if you purchase it in a different color.
- This is a C shape pillow, and you will not feel the need to use any other pillows. It supports your entire body so you will have a relaxing night sleep or nap every time you lay on it.
- The polyfill material will take the shape of your body and reduce pressure in critical points. You can use this pillow when you sleep or simply when you need to relax. It is excellent for nursing, too, so you might want to use it after your pregnancy as well.
- It takes away back pain, which is very common in the last trimester of pregnancy. So, you will not have to wake up several times during the night.
- This pillow is a great choice even for women that are not pregnant as it offers a much better sleep quality. Men can use it as well.
4.AngQi Full Body Pregnancy U Shaped Maternity Pillow
This AngQi, 55-inch pillow, is made especially to accommodate the needs of pregnant women.
- You can choose between four different sizes and several colors so you will end up with the best pregnancy pillow for your needs.
- This one is a size 55 inch, and it is covered with a cooling Jersey material. So you can use it during hot summer days as well without sweating or getting too hot.
- It has a U shape and an ergonomic design that will increase your comfort even more. This pillow will follow just the right anatomy of your body, so you don’t have to use any other pillows.
- The filling is a high-quality cotton material that will keep the pillow-soft enough to take the shape of your body but firm enough to not get flat.
- You will not have to worry about cleaning this pillow either. You can remove the cover and simply wash it in the washing machine.
- By using this pillow, you release pressure on your body and reduce the risk of high blood pressure. It improves blood circulation as well and helps you sleep the entire night without waking up.
5.QUEEN ROSE Maternity Body Pregnancy Pillow U Shaped
Another outstanding quality pregnancy pillow that you will love to use for the entire pregnancy is this model from Queen Rose.
- You have four sizes and six colors to choose from. This one is a 55-inch size, but you can get it in sizes up to 65 inches. The colors available are gray as well as cute combinations of blue and pink, purple, and blue and gray.
- This pillow is made of 100% solid velvet so you can have a comfortable feeling every time you lay on it. It has a U shape, which is perfect for accommodating your entire body. You will be able to sleep in any position you want and stretch how you feel comfortable too.
- With this pillow, you can forget about any type of pain. It will reduce pressure on your body so you will not experience any back pain or leg pain.
- Everyone can use this pillow to get a night of better sleep and relax every time they need to. It can be used to enjoy some reading, watch TV or take a nap too.
- It is easy to wash the solid velvet cover without damaging it. The filling is a high-quality polyester material that will keep this pillow in shape for a long time.
6.PharMeDoc U-Shape Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
The second version of the pregnancy pillow from PharMeDoc is this model, which will offer a lot of support to your body.
- There are 10 different colors to choose from, and all of them come in a solid body form as well as a detachable form. The grey version comes with a travel bag, but note that other colors don’t come with such a bag.
- Thanks to the U shape of this pillow, it will offer you proper support to your entire body. It reduces back pain, leg pain, neck pain, and other types of body aches you might experience as a pregnant woman.
- You can detach the extension if you want to use it separately for some regions of your body. If you want the pillow to accommodate your entire body, you should leave the extension attached.
- You will notice that everyone can enjoy better sleep with this pillow. It is ideal for pregnant women, but it is perfect for people who need to recover from surgeries or simply want to get rid of the rest of the pillows and just use this one.
7.NiDream Pregnancy Body Pillow U Shaped Maternity Pillow
This NiDream pregnancy pillow is just what you need to forget about those uncomfortable nights and body pains.
- It comes in two sizes and two colors to decide on. You can choose between a 55-inch pillow and a 60 inch one according to your preferences.
- Thanks to the U shape of this pillow, everyone will love to use it. It is recommended for pregnant women, but even other people will appreciate the comfort it offers.
- If you are experiencing leg pain or back pain as well as neck pain, this pillow will reduce all these aches in just a few days once you start using it. You will wake up rested and feeling in great shape even in the latest weeks of your pregnancy.
- You will notice that this pillow reduces the need to toss and turn during your sleep. You will not have to wake up at all during the night, and you will feel comfortable in any position you sleep on.
- It is covered with breathable and soft cotton material, so it will be a pleasure to sleep on it. The filling is made of high-quality polyester material, and it will last in excellent condition for a long time.
8. WannafreeMaternity Pillow for Pregnant Women
This full-body pregnancy pillow from Wannafree is the perfect item for mothers to be. You can purchase it for yourself, but it could be an ideal gift as well.
- You will notice that it comes at a more budget-friendly price than others, and the quality of this pillow is impressive. You can use it even if you are not pregnant as it is comfortable and very relaxing to sleep on it.
- Unfortunately, there are no other sizes or colors to choose from. But this 55-inch size in grey color should accommodate most pregnant women.
- This pillow will offer proper support to your head, neck, back, and shoulders but also your legs. You can say goodbye to all the body aches you are prone to experience during pregnancy.
- This pillow will be ideal for breastfeeding mothers as it allows you to stay comfortable in a variety of positions. You can use it when you are nursing and relax while you feed your baby!
- The cotton used to cover this pillow is hypoallergenic and very breathable. The filling is a great Polyethylene material that you can count on for increased comfort.
- The cover can be easily removed and washed in the washing machine so you can use this pillow for a long time. The U shape of this pillow makes all your body feel rested in the morning and after each nap!
9.AngQi Total Body Pregnancy Pillow
This AngQi full body pillow is also one of the pregnancy pillows that you will not regret investing in.
- It comes from 55inch in size up to 70 inches, so it will be perfect for all pregnant women. As for the color, this pillow also comes in three different colors that you can decide on.
- Besides the cover that is attached to the pillow, you also receive a white cover separately as a bonus. The design is created ergonomically, primarily to accommodate pregnant women.
- You will love the fact that this pillow will support your entire body from head to toes. It is ideal for stretching and relaxing in any position. You will not take any risks as you are using this pillow.
- The pains generated by body pressure and pregnancy are alleviated by this pillow, and you will notice a significant difference in a short time. You will sleep better and have more energy during the day.
- You can use this pillow to relax on, watch TV, read, and any other activities you might have. The cover is soft velvet, and the filling is polyester material.
10. Mon Coeur Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
Mon Coeur offers this great pregnancy pillow that you will love to use every time you need to rest, being it during the night or simply for a nap.
- This pregnancy pillow comes with a cover of cotton jersey so your skin can breathe when you are lying on it. It is very comfortable even during summer days as well.
- Thanks to its structure, this pillow offers support for your entire body and reduces pressure at the same time. You will relax more and be a lot more rested after every night.
- The design of this pregnancy pillow is supported and created by a chiropractor. It maintains your spine straight, and it uses both firm and soft memory foam to accommodate the needs of your body.
- You can bring this pillow with you anywhere you need because it is straightforward to transport.
The Wannafree Zootzi pregnancy pillow is one of the best that you will find on the market for many reasons.
- First of all, you will not sweat or get too hot as you are using this pillow. The cotton material is perfect for all seasons, and is hypoallergenic; also, you take no risks.
- The dimensions of this pillow are perfect for offering your body the comfort it needs. You will love that you can use it in a different position and not feel the need for any other pillows.
- It is easy to wash and maintain, so you will be able to keep it as new for a long time.
- You can use it even if you are not pregnant, and it can accommodate the needs that men have too!
During your pregnancy, the quality of your sleep can make a big difference to your overall wellbeing. You need a pregnancy pillow to support your body and help you relax every time you lay down.
The pillows in this guide are supported by specialists in the industry and appreciated by a wide range of pregnant women from all over the world.
So, all you have to do is choose the best one for you and forget about the discomfort you might be prone to experience during your pregnancy!
- “Do You Need to Buy a Special Pillow for Pregnancy? | Sleep.org”. Accessed February 16, 2020. Link.
- “Pregnancy tiredness and safer sleeping position – NHS”. Accessed February 16, 2020. Link.
- “Sleeping Positions During Pregnancy”. Accessed February 16, 2020. Link.