You will hear a lot of different opinions regarding shaking the breastmilk. Some say it is good and even recommended, while others claim it can deteriorate the nutrients inside the milk.
Most likely, you already guessed what the truth is regarding this aspect, but we should still clear things out.
So, should you or shouldn’t you shake breastmilk?. Nursing moms explores the answers to these questions on this page.
Also, does shaking breast milk cause gas? Read on.
Can you shake breast milk?
The short answer is yes, you definitely should shake the breastmilk bottle. As a matter of fact, shaking milk bottles is even recommended. Here are some excellent reasons to convince you about the benefits of shaking breastmilk.
- Shaking the breastmilk helps the fat layer blend with the rest of the milk. This is an essential aspect that works in favor of the shaking strategy. As the milk sits in one place for more than 30 minutes, you will notice that the fat inside of it rises on the surface. This layer will be easy to notice because it is usually a different shade compared to the rest of the milk. If you wouldn’t be shaking the bottle, this layer of fat will not get mixed with the rest of the milk, and your baby might not get to drink it.
- You should always make sure that your baby drinks this milk fat because it is the central part of the milk that will keep them full until the next meal.
- Another reason why you should shake the breastmilk bottle is to check its quality. If you let your milk sit for a while or if you put it in the fridge and you are not sure if it is still good, shaking it might give you an important hint.
- Spoiled milk will not let the fat layer blend in with the rest of it when you shake the bottle. If this happens and you notice chunks of fat on top of the milk, you should toss it. However, if the fat layer blends right into the rest of the milk, it is a good indicator that your breastmilk is still good.
- Shaking the breastmilk will help the nutrients mix together, and your baby will get all its benefits. This is another great advantage of shaking the breastmilk bottle. By doing so, you allow the nutrients and protein inside the milk to mix together, so nothing is lost as your baby drinks it.
Here is where some people get a different opinion and say that the protein in the milk deteriorates if you shake it. But no scientific evidence was found to support this point of view; therefore, it remains just a random rumor.
Does shaking breast milk cause gas?
This is a common question for many mothers and, in fact, a very justified one. Indeed when you shake the breastmilk container, you allow air to get mixed with the milk.
- Babies that swallow too much air might develop gas as a side effect. However, you would have to shake the breastmilk in a hard way to actually allow enough air to get into it and affect your baby. If you give it a gentle swirl, this should not be a problem.
- So, shaking the milk too much and too hard could result in more gas for your little one. For this reason, you should try to shake it gently and not for more than a few seconds. If you do that, your baby shouldn’t experience any side effects.
As you can see, there is nothing wrong with shaking the breastmilk bottle. In most cases, this can help you make sure that you give your child good milk and in the best form.
So, if you had second thoughts about this, you can put them to rest.
Give the milk bottle a gentle shake before having your little one drink it!
- “Storing Breast Milk | HealthLink BC”. Accessed February 13, 2020. Link.