There are illnesses caused by different bacterial infections that require treatment with antibiotics. One of the most common antibiotics used in such situations is amoxicillin.
But what if you are a breastfeeding mother? Can you still follow such a treatment?
Amoxicillin is a type of antibiotic made of penicillin, and it is used in treatments of pneumonia, ear infections, tonsillitis, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, and others.
Can you take amoxicillin while breastfeeding?
You can safely take amoxicillin as a breastfeeding mother without any associated risks. However, you should still talk to your doctor, who will prescribe you this treatment and the frequency you need to follow it with.
- Amoxicillin is often used to treat infections in babies, so it is also safe for your infant as well. You shouldn’t expect your baby to have any side effects from your antibiotic treatment with amoxicillin. Your doctor will prescribe the right doses as overdoing it could be harmful to you and your infant. Hence, it is essential to respect the indications.
- This type of antibiotic does get in the breastmilk. Because of that, your infant will be exposed to it. While it is unlikely for them to experience any severe side effects, you might notice mild reactions. Amoxicillin will impact the bacteria in your baby’s gut and mouth. Some babies might develop a mild form of diarrhea or thrush from amoxicillin.
- Diarrhea, in particular, can be dangerous for young infants as it gets them dehydrated fast. If you notice that your baby has such side effects, contact your doctor immediately. However, these are rare cases and only tend to happen if you take amoxicillin for a longer time. One course of this antibiotic shouldn’t affect your little one to this hazardous level.
- It is essential to avoid taking amoxicillin if you are allergic to penicillin. Your doctor will test you for such an allergy before prescribing you this treatment. You should also use this antibiotic with caution if you have kidney problems or any chronic condition.
- Other than this, there are no restrictions when it comes to your diet if you take a course of amoxicillin. It will not affect your mood or make you sleepy either.
- Some of the products that contain amoxicillin are Amoxil, Trimox, Apo-Amoxi, and Moxilin. All these drugs are part of the category of aminopenicillins. Most of them require a medical prescription to be able to purchase them.
- You can find other drugs in pharmacies that contain a smaller dose of this antibiotic and are sold over the counter.
As you can see, amoxicillin is not dangerous for nursing mothers and even for pregnant women or infants.
It is important to take such treatment after you talked to your doctor to stay on the safe side.
If you notice any severe side effects in you or your baby, call your doctor immediately. Make sure that you are not allergic to penicillin, or you don’t have any significant health condition before taking amoxicillin. If you follow this guideline, you shouldn’t develop any issues.
- “Amoxicillin: alcohol, driving and side-effect information”. Accessed June 03, 2020. Link.