Everything you eat during breastfeeding will find its way into your breast milk. This is why you should keep an eye on certain foods that will not add too many benefits to your infant.
There are certain foods that you have to stay away from during breastfeeding. In this page, explore the top 10 such foods to avoid especially when nursing and the reasons to avoid them.
If you really find it hard to eliminate the following foods from your diet, reducing them will help also!
Table of Contents
What Foods to Avoid When Breastfeeding?
The following foods cause gas in babies while breastfeeding. Here are the top 10 foods to stay away from while breastfeeding to prevent colic in newborn:
Reason to avoid: Chocolate can give you a significant amount of processed sugar that can ‘disturb your babys sleep. Plus, this sugar can also be hard to digest. Chocolate has no nutritional value, so the intake of it should be kept to a minimum. If eating chocolate while breastfeeding newborn is in moderation, you should stay on top of such side effects.
2. Spicy Foods
Reason to avoid: Spicy foods can cause not only gas but also other digestive problems in infants, such as heartburn. They are hard to digest even for adults, so you shouldn’t take this risk during breastfeeding. The main problem is the presence of capsaicin that will cause acid reflux. These foods can cause colic pain, allergies, and affect your baby’s taste as well.
3. Citrus Fruits
Reason to avoid: Some infants are allergic to citrus fruits, which is why they should eat them in the first year. Babies can develop rashes or other skin problems from these fruits so, try to keep them away for the first 18 months. Because of the high level of acid in these fruits, they can cause irritation to your baby’s digestive system.
Reason to avoid: Allergy risks plus a lot of sugar intake. Raw honey can come with a dangerous compound called Clostridium Botulinum. This can cause botulism, a disease that can be fatal in a matter of hours.
Reason to avoid: Strawberries can also cause allergic reactions in the first year of life. This is even more important if you have a family history of allergies. They also cause gas and irritation due to their intense flavor.
Reason to avoid: Some pediatricians warn mothers about the allergenic aspect of kiwis so you should avoid them to stay on the safe side. They can also cause gas and fussy reactions to your baby.
Reason to avoid: Onion can cause gas, skin reactions like hives, eczema, ear infection, runny nose, and even breathing problems. So, onions might have their benefits, but a young baby will be at risk for severe side effects as well.
Reason to avoid: Garlic might cause gas and other discomforts in your baby. It has a strong smell that will change the smell of your milk as well. The taste will also be different. Some children don’t like the intense flavor, and they become fussy or irritable.
9. Laxative Fruits
Reason to avoid: The laxative fruits such as prunes or pears might cause you to lose essential minerals and nutrients. They can also increase the colic pain in babies due to their laxative effect and fast fermentation properties.
10. Excessive Coffee
Reason to avoid: A coffee a day never killed anyone, but too much coffee can be unsettling for your baby. Coffee can disturb their sleep and cause gas. It is also high in acid, which can decrease the level of iron in the milk. Your baby might become fussy and even develop a mild addiction to caffeine.
-  – “Eating Chocolate While Breastfeeding Makes Babies Irritable and Fussy … Or Does It? • Marie Biancuzzo, RN MS CCL IBCLC”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Eating Spicy Food during Breastfeeding: Is It Safe or Not?”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “2 Common Fruits To Avoid While Breastfeeding”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Is It Safe To Eat Honey While Breastfeeding?”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Botulism: Symptoms, causes, prevention, and sources”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Can Nursing Mothers Eat Strawberries? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Fruits You Should Avoid While Breastfeeding | Being The Parent”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Is It Safe To Eat Onions While Breastfeeding?”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Can You Eat Garlic If You Are Breastfeeding?”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.
-  – “Coffee while breastfeeding: Safety and risks”. Accessed November 29, 2019. Link.