Breastfeeding can be the most beautiful but also the most challenging phase for a mother. One of the main concerns breastfeeding mothers have is how they can store their milk correctly.
This guide will bring you 30 breastmilk storage rules to follow so your baby has the best milk every meal!
Breastmilk Storage Rules
1. Have impeccable hygiene when expressing and storing breastmilk.
2. Don’t reuse breastmilk bags that are not reusable.
3. Use only containers intended for storing breastmilk.
4. Don’t allow freshly expressed breastmilk to sit at room temperature for more than 4 hours.
5. Store breastmilk in the fridge between 4 and 8 days.
6. Place the breastmilk in the back of the refrigerator.
7. Don’t store breastmilk on the refrigerator’s door.
8. Seal the breastmilk containers before you store them.
9. Store breastmilk in the freezer for a maximum of 6 to 9 months.
10. Glass bottles are not a good idea for freezing breastmilk.
11. Date your breastmilk when you put it in the freezer.
12. Don’t warm breastmilk in the microwave when you take it off the freezer.
13. Use a bottle warmer for heating up stored breastmilk.
14. Don’t reheat a bottle of breastmilk.
15. Always thaw the breastmilk after taking it off the freezer.
16. Use the oldest milk first.
17. Check the quality of the stored breastmilk before feeding it to your baby.
18. When combining different batches of milk, bring them to the same temperature.
19. Don’t refreeze breast milk.
20. Store breastmilk in small containers.
21. Use a cooler when you travel with breastmilk.
22. Breastmilk can stay in the cooler for a maximum of 24 hours.
23. Don’t use any expired breastmilk.
24. It is a good idea to refrigerate your breastmilk as soon as you pump it.
25. Don’t fill up the milk container when you freeze it.
26. Freeze any amount of breastmilk that you will not use in the next 24 hours.
27. Sterilize all the containers before storing the breastmilk.
28. Don’t use regular bottles instead of baby bottles.
29. Don’t transfer the breastmilk from one container to another.
30. If you use breastmilk bags, try to pump directly into the bag.
Follow these 30 breastmilk storage rules, and you will always give your baby the best type of breastmilk. It is essential to pay extra attention to these rules if your child is a premature baby.
Preemies are a lot more sensitive than full-term babies, and their bodies struggle to deal with bacteria more. So, you should always make sure you give them breastmilk that is at the best quality!
- “Go to guide for hygienic handling of expressed breastmilk”. Accessed March 07, 2020. Link.
- “Baby Bottles and Bisphenol A (BPA) – HealthyChildren.org”. Accessed March 07, 2020. Link.
- “Breast milk storage: Do’s and don’ts – Mayo Clinic”. Accessed March 07, 2020. Link.
- “Proper Storage and Preparation of Breast Milk | Breastfeeding | CDC”. Accessed March 07, 2020. Link.
- “Should You Sterilize Your Baby’s Bottles?”. Accessed March 10, 2020. Link.
- “Expressing and storing breast milk – NHS”. Accessed March 10, 2020. Link.